| Egypt Diving - 2004
last I was able to go diving again, this time with three friends, and
we went to Egypt. I think it´s the sixth time or so I´ve been
there and it´s always a great thing as the underwater scenery is
nice and the flight is short.
We stayed in the highly recommendable Akassia
Swiss Resort in Marsa Alam / El Quseir. Diving there is supposedly
not too good as they have no boats there, so we booked a package in which
we stayed at Akassia and dove with SubAqua
dive base of close-by hotel Utopia.
The Utopia itself isn´t half as nice as the Akassia, so the choice
Only drawback: You had to leave Utopia at 17:30 to catch the minibus back
to the hotel and therefore had to hurry up a bit after a boat-dive day.
- The divebase is very good. Nice staff and good facilities.
- Nitrox is for free (if you have the license for it).
- Enough space to store your stuff there.
- Water to rinse camera and water to rinse your dive gear.
- Local beach dives north and south of the hotel, the south reef you can
walk to, the north reef you have to take the free pickup to bring you
there and optionally use the zodiac to bring you out on a one-way dive.
- The house reef is very nice although the visibility around the jetty
is bad as frequently approaching and departing dive-boats stirr up the
Not far from the jetty though, the vis gets much better.
on the images on the left to see some impressions.